Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chihuahuas

My boyfriend's cousin's dog (I know that's a lot), Pumpkin, is a Chihuahua/Greyhound mix.  I know that sounds odd, but she mostly looks like a Chihuahua.  Now, this dog breed is probably my least favorite.  Not because I don't think Chihuahuas have a cute side, but because they just look so darn puny!  It's too small of a dog for me, but I thought I'd look into why everyone goes crazy over this little dog.



General Information:
  • They like to be carried around and pampered
  • Smallest breed of dog in the world
  • Protective, Sweet, and Loving for their owner (Like to cling to one person)
  • Radar ears (folded down when they're puppies)
  • Think they're quite tough
  • Height: 6-9 inches
  • Weight: 2-6 pounds
Health:
  • Risk of Obesity, leading to Diabetes and Dislocation of Kneecaps
  • Generally healthy
  • Daily walks, including playtime
  • Life span: 15+ years
Grooming:
  • Little shedding
  • Short coat only needs occasional brushing; long coat needs it daily
Environment:
  • Best to keep these tiny doggies inside
  • Do not leave outside unattended (Look like prey to birds)
  • Best in warmer climates
Type of Owner:
  • Not very good for families
  • Children may drop them
  • Chihuahua may be overly babied because of its size
  • Needs an owner that doesn't feed it too much and balances babying with discipline
So, maybe Chihuahuas aren't as puny as I thought; they're just a small breed!  Maybe part of the reason I dislike them is their tendency to become "divas" after being constantly babied.  Make sure not to let this happen to your Chihuahua!  You need to be the pack leader. =]




(Thanks to Dogs 101 and Dog Breed Info Center for the information!)

No comments:

Post a Comment